The Molony's history
Est - 1854, J. Molony first established in King St Melbourne in 1854, Molony's initially specialised in shoemaking and then with grandson, Edward Molony, a famous ice hockey player of the late 1920's, they established the Melbourne Glaciarium ice skating rink. In 1959 Molony's moved to Elizabeth St, opposite the Melbourne GPO building. It was with this move that the shoe businesses transformed into the leading ski shop in Melbourne, retailing "Everything except the snow" It was at this time that Geoff Henke, who was a former ice hockey national team member, took over management of the business from his father-in-law, with the assistance of his wife Gweneth, a former Australian figure skating champion and Olympic Games representative at Oslo, Norway 1952. Geoff soon entered into a partnership to establish the first mechanical ski lifts at Falls Creek, in the Victorian High Country. This partnership, Alpine Developments Pty Ltd,became an integral part of Falls Creek from the lifts to the Ski school and many things in-between. Over the years the Molony's Ski Shop in Elizabeth expanded out with a Molony's Ski Hire in Falls Creek opening in 1960 and Molony's Ski Hire in Mt Buller in 1969, they were also involved in the retail and Ski hire business in Mt Hotham. In the early 80's Geoff teamed up with friend and renowned architect Peter McIntrye on the long journey to develop the only freehold mountain village above the snow line, this development is the Alpine town of Dinner Plain. With the development of Dinner Plain, came a ski lift and ski school and of course a Molony's Ski hire and retail. These's businesses were purchased by Jo, a former winter Olympian at Innsbruck 1976, and her husband Doug McDougall. Dinner Plain has been through many changes over the years and so has Molony's, and with the 2012 winter season Jo and Doug are proud to open the latest Molony's Ski Shop in Dinner Plain.